Monday, April 20, 2009

So how lucky are you?

A few days back I came across an article that talked about the results of a research about if there is really something like ‘lucky’ and ‘unlucky’ people. They wanted to find out if this is really a matter of chance or ‘kismat’ that some people are lucky and some are not. Or is it that there are some ‘ingredients’ that make a lucky person and are hard-to-find in a so called unlucky person…Well, interestingly, the research concluded…to the dismay of people who like to call themselves unlucky and to the joy of the lucky ones, that, there are some traits (nice ones ofcourse) that make a person lucky. There are reasons why they lucky people have more opportunities and succeed more often. It said that the ‘lucky’ people are better at identifying opportunities, they have better instincts and are quicker decision makers so as to seize the opportunities and act upon it, while the hapless ones are still thinking about what to do…Well, as easy as it seems to be possible to conclude, surveying say a few hundred people, maximum a thousand, can we really conclude the how the dynamics of the world comprised of over 6 billion people and many times animals and thousands of other natural forces works. I understand the purpose of the research was probably just to take a peek into the matter and to try to rationalize it as has been the attempt of us humans about most of the things around us; nature, space, animals, plants, trees, hills, oceans, and course about ourselves-humans. In the end of all of this is however, one realization that, some things are beyond us, and be better left like that. Luck in terms of a person missing an interview for a job because of getting late for it, or not going for it altogether because of realizing late that this is a great opportunity, is explainable. But what in the case of say an earthquake or a tsunami or a bomb blast(more relevant in our times now)? How is it that the earthquake decides where to wreak havoc? How do the waves decide where to wreck their fury? What can our luck as a human do in those cases? Well I know like me you are also recalled of a few friends who have told you, “You know, I was planning a vacation to Thailand but then somehow I could not make it” or “but then something inside told me to not go”..: )..Thank god for these ‘something insides”…but what about the rest of those who did go down with it?Even for the case of missing an interview, there are always, I believe, a Thousand forces at play around us..making us do some things, stopping/ hindering us from doing some things. I like to accept that they are beyond us. I like to accept the largeness of the life. I like to accept the strange, intricate dependencies between the lives of people who don’t know each other. What if my husband had met someone who was exactly like me, but less of a ‘nag’ than me ( :) ), and more lucky than me (course to have found him before me :) )…I could not have helped it, as much as I would have hated it….I don’t want to conclude anything, its belief. And this is one belief we ought to take up as it suits us…If you feel better thinking ‘your destiny is in your hands’ (n blah), I think that’s the ways. But if you believe, you play your part and be done, and feel complacent about your tiny place in this vibrant system beyond everyone, so be it for you…What do you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment